The North Head Quarantine Station is a series of historic and heritage listed buildings on North Head, near the entrance to Sydney Harbour and the suburb Manly. These buildings mark an important stage in Australia's early colonisation and its development from a remote island to a nation.
The quarantine station was designed to check and monitor incoming passengers from foreign locations. In the early stages of Australia's settlement, new ships would arrive from England on a regular basis, bringing people and livestock with diseases the country hadn't experienced before. To separate the new arrivals from the already established citizens and thus prevent transferring diseases, the North Head Quarantine Station was constructed. The location chosen for the station was important at the time as the site was the first safe anchorage point inside the heads of Sydney Harbour. A this time, it was a long distance from the actual city and natural springs in the area allowed a constant and fresh water supply without the need to travel to further locations.
The North Head Quarantine Station operated between the years of 14 August 1832 to 29 February 1984. Since the closure of the station, it is now used as a hotel, function centre, and a restaurant. This complex is named Q Station, and remains part of the Sydney Harbour National Park. Address: 1 North Head Scenic Drive, Manly, NSW, 2095.