Parliament House is one of Sydney's historic buildings, and still holds NSW parliament within it today. The building consists of two wings. The first was converted from the old Rum Hospital, because it was the largest building available in Sydney at the time, with the purpose of accommodating the first NSW Parliament House in 1829.
The second wing is made from cast iron, and is a prefabricated building that was shipped all the way from Glasgow in Scotland. Parliament House stands out among the modern high-rise buildings in the surrounding city, but also compliments several other historic buildings along Macquarie Street. It is a complex building, which suffered many complications during its development and its multiple renovations. The development is a two-storey building, featuring a colonial style veranda. Inside are several entrance halls, smaller meeting rooms, and the Jubilee Room which is used for larger meetings and public events and which currently displays parliamentary memorabilia.
Like many of the old Sydney buildings, Parliament House has several associated ghost stories, and this is not surprising for a historic building that used to be a hospital and a morgue. Many of the staff claim to have seen ghosts, including babies who cry when no babies are around, an old lady who sits in a rocking chair and candles that flicker on and off. Although some members of parliament claim there are no ghosts, many of them state whole heartedly that they do exist.
Parliament House is located in Macquarie Street, right in the heart of Sydney's CBD, and is easily accessible by train, bus and monorail. Address: 6 Macquarie Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000.