Cadman's Cottage is one of Sydney's oldest surviving buildings, dating from 1816. It was built to house the Government Coxswain, who had the important task of organising all the water transport on the harbour.
Flickr image by 4nitsirk
The cottage was named after the third and longest serving coxswain, the ex-convict John Cadman. Originally at the water's edge, the cottage is now 100 metres back from the harbour.
Over the years it has served various purposes, including acting as a court and a home for sailors. It became disused in the 1960s, but was taken over by the Sydney Harbour National Park
and is now excavated and restored to its historical beauty.
Address: 110 George Street, The Rocks, NSW, 2000.