Sydney is Australia's banking capital, half of all Australian owned banks have headquarters that are based in Sydney. Sydney is the number one city in Australia for banking and is easy for international visitors to do their banking.
The major Australian owned banks based in Sydney are Commonwealth Bank, Westpac, ANZ, St George Bank & National Bank Of Australia.
All these banks will accept any of these cards - VISA, Mastercard, Maestro, Cirrus, American Express and Diner's Club in their ATM machines.
• Commonwealth Bank Location 309-315 George St Tel:+61 13 22 21
• Westpac Location 671-675 George St Tel:+61 2 8239 5000
• National Australia Bank Location 343 George St Tel: +61 13 22 65
• ANZ Location 410 Oxford St Tel: +61 13 13 14
• St George Bank Location 182 George St Tel: +61 2 9320 5555
All banks are open the same times 9a.m – 4.30pm Monday to Thursday and until 5pm on Fridays. Banks are closed for every public holiday
ATM'S only disperse $20 notes and $50, some smaller ATM'S in gas stations can sometimes disperse $10 but the full transaction has to be $20 or above.
International tourists coming to Sydney arrive at Sydney International Airport the airport provides plenty of foreign exchange facilities for its newest arrivals. There are 33 multi currency ATM'S in the airport 18 supplied by TravelEx and 15 provided by ANZ. TravelEx shops are in the arrivals section of the airport and can cash travellers cheques and they sell travel insurance and phone cards.
Foreign exchange shops are all over Sydney and deal with over 50 currencies. The two main exchange services are ANZ Exchange and TravelEx but there are other smaller exchange shops but ANZ and TravelEx usually have the better rates, locating them is easy, their locations are below:-
• ANZ Exchange – 96 Pitt St & 37 Pitt St, 665 George St and Sydney Chinatown
• TravelEx – 455 George St & Shop 75a 145 Old Pittwater Road
Visitors who are staying longer than six weeks are recommended to open an account within six weeks of arrival. Your passport is all that is needed. If you wait longer than six weeks you need identification that ranks up to 100 points. The one hundred points system is for visitors opening bank accounts after a six week period, to get the 100 points you need.
• Birth Certificate & Passport – 70 points
• International Driving license – 40 points
• Credit,Student & I.D Cards - 20 points